Thursday, December 16, 2010

Texas Chowder

This week the weather really threw Texas for a loop, by being normal. The temperature dropped to the 30s, a common winter degree, but my body/immune system was not quite prepared. Luckily, I made a ginormous pot of Texas Chowder. This soup has soothed my sore throat and warmed my soul for the last few days and I will now share the secret. It's modified from a recipe I got out of the newspaper, because I still read them and pretend technology is a passing fad.

Texas Chowder, yum.
1 onion, chopped
4 Tbl. butter
1 green bell pepper, chopped
2 jalapenos, chopped
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 can Cream of Potato condensed soup (and 1 can full of water)
3 cups milk (2%)
3 Tbl. Worcestershire sauce
1 Tbl. Paprika
1 Tbl. dried thyme, basil, oregano (Italian seasoning)
1/2 cup green onions
2 (16oz) cans of Cream-style Corn
1 lb. sausage
3 cups Cheddar Cheese

Saute onion, bell pepper, jalapeno and garlic in butter for 5 minutes. Add Cream of Potato Soup (with one can full of water), milk, Worcestershire sauce, paprika, and Italian seasoning.Simmer for 15 minutes. In the meantime, brown sausage. Add sausage to soup along with the corn, green onions and salt/pepper to taste. Simmer for 10 minutes and then add 2 cups Cheddar Cheese. Serve warm and top with Cheddar cheese and green onions!

No comments: