Thursday, December 9, 2010

book note

Dear One Day, a novel by David Nicholls,

You are being abandoned. Many books go down the road that leads to my forgotten books pile, with the whimpering hope of a bookmark somewhere near the middle. 

I tried, really I did, but you are boring, predictable, and unimaginative. Dexter and Emma do not warrant empathy and while random cultural touchstones are interesting, it's not enough to carry a book. Why you are on the 100 Notable Books of 2010 in the New York Times is simply beyond me. I don't get it. Unless taking you to the beach dulls my mind enough to enjoy the lacking storyline. 

Frankly, I have better things to do (like watch Real Housewives of Beverly Hills). This was affirmed last night when I started reading The Help and couldn't put it down. So, One Day, I bid you adieu, now find a place to be forgotten. Thanks.

Best,
Amy

3 comments:

Jennifer B said...

Wow, I think differently! So far, I love it. Yes, it's typical and yes, it's a story of unrequited love, just out of reach, BUT I was looking for a completely mind-numbing, predictable book to read after being so busy this semester so this book fits the bill!

Admittedly, it took me until part 2 to get into it.

a life of color said...

My motto is don't waste your time with a book you don't love...there are plenty out there you will love! I have heard The Help is amazing...I have yet to read it though.

Anonymous said...

Oh Amy Anne, thank you so much for your comment. I couldn't possibly agree with you more, my friend!

Wishing you a lovely week! :)