Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Sweet disaster

Let me share last night's catastrophe with you.
It does entail a happy ending.
Everything was settling down nicely, I was quietly enjoying pizza with hatch green chiles, a glass of red wine, and some fantastic episodes of Glee. Then, out of nowhere, I was motivated to make these:
caramel sea salt brownie heaven

They had been on the brain since I read about the perfect recipe at everyday musings. I tried to reason with myself that it was already 10 p.m., but the craving would not subside.

So at roughly 10:30 p.m., with the newly purchased Glee soundtrack on in the background, I found myself stirring this
yhes.jpg
I wanted to capture the stirring motion, hence the blurred hand.

That there is the caramel topping and the biggest mess I've ever made while cooking. Aside from the obvious stove-top spills, the caramel has spilled into the burner creating quite a smoky atmosphere. But I kept stirring and eventually landed some delicious, and much smoother looking caramel.

But there's more to this catastrophe...

I didn't have the right size brownie pan, so I decided on brownie cupcakes (because I'm not going to the store at 11p.m., in my pajamas, to buy a brownie pan, a little too desperate). So the cupcakes quickly overflowed in my oven, creating this smoky scene

Needless to say, I did not bring these to work to share, but despite there deformity, they taste delicious, particularly delicious paired with coffee, for breakfast.

3 comments:

Jamie said...

Oh no! At least they still tasted good :)

Michelle {lovely little things} said...

Plus then, more for you! That would be where I'd be excited!

becca said...

Oh, baking is such fun! Especially late at night, and with good music to accompany.