Thursday, December 23, 2010

I recommend this book


The holidays always provide ample time for me to catch up on the stacks of books laying around my apartment. Last week, I was finally able to start (and finish) The Help. It seems to be on everyone's reading list and now I can see why. The story was fantastic, down to the last page and the characters truly came to life. The novel takes you into the lives of women living in Jackson Mississippi and the dichotomy of black and white women during the 1960s. There was also an interesting underlying struggle with one of the main characters, a recent college graduate, under pressure to have her life figured out and meet social expectations (marriage) at 24, which is still a rather prevalent attitude in the the Big D.

I highly recommend this book.

2 comments:

a life of color said...

I have heard The Help is exellent! I will have to try and read it while on break! Merry Christmas to you!

Same Sweet Girl: Memoir of a Southern Belle said...

I've been meaning to read that!!! I keep forgetting! Thanks for the reminder! Hope you had a fantastic Christmas! :)