Friday, September 10, 2010

girl talk

There was a wine tasting in my neighborhood last night. So, a friend and I went for a few sips and then, obviously not satisfied, walked over to a nearby wine bar to relax, catch up, and enjoy a few more sips.

The night was fantastic, lots of stories and hilarious people-watching moments, but the real revelation came when we recognized/realized the root of all unhappiness, because we are incredible efficient philosophers. Obviously these may be simple, over-generalized observations, but, the idea makes sense and is at least something of which to be aware.

What disrupts a person's happiness?
1. Expectations
2. Regret
3. Assumptions
(I'm not entirely sold on #3, but it's worth a mention)
It's easy to miss the here and now while worrying about the could've, would've, should've and it disrupts the present happiness. I'm a pretty happy and positive person, but I find it fascinating and helpful to think about the why and why not. Maybe I'm the only one, but it's interesting to ponder. Also, if it isn't pondered while one is happy, will one be able to ponder accurately when unhappy? Not likely.
I could go on, but I won't, you're welcome.


In other news, it's finally time...
Fashion's Night Out
While, I'm not attending the New York fashion night out, Dallas is having events to somewhat makeup for that fact. I've been eagerly awaiting Fashion's Night Out since I put it in my calendar and tonight's the night! I can't wait to see what all the fuss is about. Appetizers, drinks, makeup and fashion, what more could I ask for?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh I wish I could be in NYC for Fashion's Night out this year, maybe next year!

Same Sweet Girl: Memoir of a Southern Belle said...

Completely agreed. I always find myself wishing I could just be happy with what I have and enjoy it rather than wishing for what I don't have and ruining it. It's so hard to do though!!!