Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Let-down

I just finished this book:
Keeping Faith
and I'm not sure I'd recommend it. As far as popular fiction goes the author has a great reputation, but she just didn't do it for me. The plot was fairly predictable from the beginning. You know who will fall in love and there is no real resolution for the "miracle" girl. (I also hate forced sex scenes that are contrived to make the story move forward, it is hard, if not impossible to execute them tastefully, and are often better left out, an example of good excution would be found in Rabbit, Run, Updike knows what he's doing.)The synopsis pulled me in and I wondered how Jodi Picoult would intertwine religion/spirituality into modern lives subtly and gracefully, but the execution was lacking to put it mildly. I had lofty expectations that she would compliment lives with a touch of spirituality, but this is not the case and there's not even a dramatic courtroom twist at the end.

Anyways. Over it, and I don't recommend it.

1 comment:

Same Sweet Girl: Memoir of a Southern Belle said...

See I haven't read any of her books...I always pick them up and want to read them but the stories just don't pull me in! Are there any of her books that you did like that I should try?

Make sure to come enter my Stella and Dot giveaway when you get the chance!!! http://sweetsoutherncupcakes.blogspot.com/2010/07/stella-and-dot-giveaway.html