Monday, March 8, 2010

l o/i v/f e



"One should love life more than the meaning of life," someone said during a banquet at the Blanton Museum while I was in my senior year of college.  It resonated. I constantly sought after a meaning, wondering, in the big scheme of things, "why?" This quote triggered a shift that had already begun.

I think that this is important. There is so much happening everyday, with or without answers, life continues and it is beautiful and fun. Now, I appreciate the search for meaning as much as the next philosopher, but if you spend your whole life wondering and never doing, would it be a waste? I don't want to live my whole life for a meaning, that may or may not be true, while turning my back on the adventures that encounter everyday.

There's also the direction that by loving life, you appreciate the meaning to its fullest. You are here now and should appreciate all that has been presented. However, I automatically think of the Christian who claims that there is nothing in this world to love, only God. I would always argue in high school that if God created the world we live in then we should be able, if not expected, to appreciate all that was created in the world as it is thus a reflection of him.

Is it foolish to not love to the fullest the one thing that is certain? And if you are certain of God, then, wouldn't the world be the only direct, physical connection you have with him, if it was created by God?

I digress. "One should love life." I believe, no matter where you are in life, you should try, try with all your might, to love life, for it is certain, now. I love that I am here, that I exist with this moment. I love that I have a cup of coffee in my hand.

No comments: