Wednesday, February 10, 2010

"In the day of adversity consider"

I am unable to recall the last time I read, much less quoted scripture. It was probably back in 2007 during my junior year of college and my first year at UT. That's not important. This morning I needed something. Something substantial to guide me before I lose myself. Initially I turned to Psalms, but it's hard to read a song to God without the word "Lord" appearing in every line. Although, I guess in a sense I am attempting to find solace without attributing the source where I seek, details.

"Vanity of vanities, says the Preacher, vanity of vanities! All is vanity. What does man gain by all the toil at which he toils under the sun? A generation goes, and a generation comes, but the earth remains forever. The sun rises, and the sun goes down, and hastens to the place where it rises. The wind blows to the south and goes around to the north; around and around goes the wind, and on its circuits the wind returns.  All streams run to the sea, but the sea is not full; to the place where the streams flow, there they flow again.  All things are full of weariness; a man cannot utter it; the eye is not satisfied with seeing, nor the ear filled with hearing. What has been is what will be, and what has been done is what will be done, and there is nothing new under the sun." -Ecclesiastes 1:1-9

And there. The search ends and begins with those words. I'm not sure any commentary of mine could elaborate in a productive manner.

It appears depressing, nothing matters, but I find it encouraging to not get bogged down by anything and just be, live life to the fullest, there is nothing to lose. Live with all my heart, don't regret and take every chance, why not?

"Better is the end of a thing than its beginning, and the patient in spirit is better than the proud in spirit." -Ecclesiastes 7:8

No comments: